Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Im all about the hardware rips.
Hey guys. I love classic VGM, especially when it's straight from the hardware. I love this project. I love you. Wink

I can help out as an emergency backup. I've downloaded and kept all these releases, even though I actually dislike the vast majority of it (I'm more of an NES, GB, and SNES guy :p), as to upload in the future for the people who DO like it. I wish to preserve the authentic non-emulated sound of the classic consoles and games for future generations.

Does anyone know of other places like this? The only other place I know is: http://forums.ffshrine.org/f72/iron-goats-console-audio-soundtracks-master-list-174131/ . He's got quite a few 24/96 Genesis releases you guys haven't got to yet. Maybe you could ask him permission and upload his stuff to the project? (I've kept all those releases too, and tagged them.)

You guys planning any NES, GB, or SNES? Wink
Hi there, welcome to the boards!

Thanks for pointing ffshrine out, but we only make rips in house to guarantee the best quality and accuracy possible.

The idea is fulfilling all the Mega Drive requests first and then, if there's any good or famous game (street fighter *cough) left, we'll be ripping these and then make the switch to the SNES.

Also, we're called "16 bit audiophile project" for a reason: we only rip music from 16-bits consoles Tongue

Enjoy your stay and you're welcome to drop a request (Mega Drive/Amiga only for now) if you feel like it!
The SNES DAC and analog output of that console I have to say is rather shitty compared to the awesomeness that is the model 1 VA6 Genesis. I don't really see the point in SNES recording to be honest; better to focus any work/time on Genesis rips if you had to choose, IMO.

Emulated VGM sets for the Genesis just doesn't compare to the real thing, while the SNES hardware sounds really muffled through it's audio output versus emulated SPC sets. Just my two cents.

While I appreciate your opinion (and, in general, I encourage everyone expressing their points of view), I kindly ask to keep the discussion as civil as possible.

Discussion is welcome and appreciated, even "heat" ones.

Just don't turn this into a SNES vs Genesis flame, and everything will be alright.

On my behalf, there are several soundtracks on the SNES I'd love to properly rip with our very high standards.

I know the early revisions of the SNES had separated circuitry and delivered a better sound (ie: not muffled) and when the time comes I'll try to put my hands on one.

<div class="bbcode_quote">
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Thanks for pointing ffshrine out, but we only make rips in house to guarantee the best quality and accuracy possible.</div>
</div>

I'm not pointing out FFShrine (which I sorta dislike because of the saturation of shoddy emulator releases), I'm pointing out "The Iron Goat" and his hardware rips.

Have you downloaded any of his rips? I'm pretty sure you'll find the quality satisfactory. He uses a Model 1 Sega Genesis with VA6 motherboard and RCA jack mod, amplified by FiiO E6, captured by Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, edited with Audacity. I'm comparing your SoR2 rip with his at the moment, and aside from what is perhaps a very slight volume difference, they sound identical to me. But I understand your wanting to do it yourself anyway with your own gear and process. Just maybe link to Goat's FFShrine thread in your Links section. It's worthy.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Also, we're called "16 bit audiophile project" for a reason: we only rip music from 16-bits consoles Tongue</div>
</div>

Well then, just change the name. Wink

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">...rather shitty compared to the awesomeness that is the model 1 VA6 Genesis.</div>
</div>

Yeah, no doubt the Genesis sound hardware is capable of some awesome stuff, but I guess it was too hard to make good use of compared to S/NES and GB, given 90% of Genesis tracks sound like painful grating robot fart dissonance. :p Only my opinion, of course. So far, SoR2 and Contra: Hard Corps are the only Genesis soundtracks that have blown me away. As a soundtrack as a whole, that is; there are 42 other tracks across 15 other games that I also enjoy enough to listen to regularly. I'm particularly impressed with Noriyuki Iwadare's work.
It's not really worth suggesting changing the name to suit other "Bits". Don Luca has been very clear many times about his interest and focus on the 16 Bit era not only out of legal reasons but out of preference.

I've expressed an interest in an 8Bit soundtrack section before but he doesn't want it directly attached to this site, which is fair enough. Though he did say he wouldn't have a problem with someone starting off an 8Bit Audiophile as a sister site to this one.
Word.