Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RYMCast: public beta-testing phase
Yepp, I guess the problem is the same one that you linked to. It is probably something that isn't resetting correctly, yes.

I didn't even know that the application took command line arguments! That's awesome. I thought that it only had a GUI interface as it didn't print anything when starting it with "./RYMCast --help" or "./RYMCast -h".

Yes, I would be interested in tweaking the parameters a bit myself. But there is no rush as I'm quite busy with other things right now, so take your time Smile
(19-02-2017, 03:16 PM)ZedDB Wrote: Ah well, I can't really hear any difference between the rip from @donluca and RYMCast Sad

Well that is good, but I guess that I were just too used to how the low quality youtube rip sounded. Or maybe it was just recorded on an other genesis revision than what you have @donluca?

Here's where you'll find all the information about our recording chain @ZedDB : http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/the-equipment/ (bear in mind it's quite outdated, but most things still stand true as of today. One day I'll update it. One day. Sad ).

We're using a japanese first model, revision VA1 with a small fix in the output stage (they messed it and corrected it in the later revisions, so I did nothing but "update" the output stage to that of the later revisions).

Since this is how the first Mega Drive was conceived, I take for granted that this is how the dev platform behaved at that time.
Later revisions had to cut edges here and there to keep the cost down so I don't take them in consideration as, IMHO, they are not "authentic" hardware.

Our project strives to give 100% accuracy to our users as we want the tracks to sound the way the sound engineers and composers wanted them to sound when they wrote them.

Hopefully that clears it up Smile

EDIT: I gave a quick listen to that youtube link: sounds emulation to me.
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
@donluca, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Thought that the youtube link were on real hardware because I didn't find an emulator that sounded like that and most of them would playback some of the songs in an incorrect way (missing instruments etc).

But I agree that RYMCast and your recording is probably the way it was meant to be played Wink
Yeah, I'm seriously "concerned" by this, if you will.

If RYMCast is so good that the recordings are undistinguishable from a real hardware recording, is there still a point in this project?

Ripping properly a track from an analogue source such as the Mega Drive is a very time consuming task, if RYMCast is able to deliver the same results by downloading just the VGM files (which are a handful of Megabytes, compared to Gigabytes of a hi-res release) what's the point of continuing ripping stuff?

I'll have to meditate on this, we might be at a point where this project, sad as it may sound, has been made completely obsolete.
(20-02-2017, 12:02 PM)donluca Wrote: Yeah, I'm seriously "concerned" by this, if you will.

If RYMCast is so good that the recordings are undistinguishable from a real hardware recording, is there still a point in this project?

Ripping properly a track from an analogue source such as the Mega Drive is a very time consuming task, if RYMCast is able to deliver the same results by downloading just the VGM files (which are a handful of Megabytes, compared to Gigabytes of a hi-res release) what's the point of continuing ripping stuff?

I'll have to meditate on this, we might be at a point where this project, sad as it may sound, has been made completely obsolete.

IMO this is a good thing; we can only be grateful something like RYMCast has come along. The SNES is in a similar state with blargg's excellent SNES audio libraries (indistinguishable from the real hardware).

On another note, there's still those that say no digital representation of old hardware units can really quite match the originals' character and tonality, whether it's game consoles or old synths (even digital ones like the DX7).

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet; there may still be small differences. Though it sounds amazing so far! On a personal note, I'm incredibly excited to try my hand with the VST version once it comes out.  Smile
(22-02-2017, 07:57 PM)dogman91 Wrote: IMO this is a good thing; we can only be grateful something like RYMCast has come along. 

This is an *amazing* thing. It's not as much as technology going forward, rather than people doing proper research which, in turn, enables them to use current technology to achieve incredible things.

While I'd be really, really saddened to see this project come to an end, I'm absolutely ecstatic that people will be able to enjoy 100% accurate music just by downloading small .VGM files without even worry about legal claims (some of our tracks have been shot down on mediafire, just FYI).

It's the beginning of a new era for videogame music enthusiasts and I'm thrilled to have played a major role in this.
Even if the project will come to an end, it will still live through RYMCast and it's a fantastic thing.

Let's wait and see how this all plays out.
I still want to release a couple of albums and remaster Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Spinball.
After that... I'll have to take a bit of time to ponder on what to do next.
Hi all,

@dogman91, thanks for reading and summing up my mind Smile

I can't say how happy I am to read your positive thoughts about RYMCast, but @donluca, I'd also hate to think it somehow killed your project or motivation. I humbly think your project remains absolutely necessary. It is a reference and it will always be, for either the audiophile fans or some other people doing research.

That being said, if RYMCast can save you up some time and efforts you would consider putting back into ripping music from some other precious hardware (cough... Neo-Geo, cough) that would cheer me up for sure Wink

Yours,

Mathieu