Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're now accepting community releases!
Hi everyone,

this is a turning point in the project and although there are many, MANY important topics to discuss, I feel like this is the most important of all.

As you may have noticed, we have already accepted community releases in the past (for example from Roareye – I had sent my him old recording equipment to record 32x and Amiga games) and now I've decided it's time to open the project up to external contributions.

One important thing: although those releases will be shared through our website and with our "label" on it (which has always been the hallmark of utmost quality and accuracy), those will be clearly labeled as "Community Release" to distinguish them from our own releases.
Hopefully this won't be received as a form of discrimination, but as we still don't have a group of people dedicated to closely listen to the contributions and decide whether to accept or reject them, we don't want to mess it up.

Speaking of which, I really need a group of people to listen to the contributions to make sure they adhere to our (very) high standards. This means that there will be something like "The Golden Ears Committee" who'll be able to mainly discern bad rips and judge the recording quality.

I don't have the time to follow all of this, I need help keeping this project rolling.

To sum it up: right now everyone can contribute and there won't be any kind of quality check on the contributions *BUT* all of the contributions will have to adhere to some rules. After posting this, I'll be making a new page in the website (and axing the "Articles" section which, unfortunately, never really took off) named "Contribute" where you'll find the guidelines which you MUST follow if you want your contribution to make it into our releases.
As of now, only Mega Drive/Genesis contributions will be accepted. This might change in the future, but one rule will always apply: no matter what: NO NINTENDO GAMES. And by this I don't mean strictly Nintendo consoles, but whatever games were made or published directly by Nintendo (think super mario, zelda, etc...). Nintendo has always been extremely hostile to those kind of projects and I don't want to see this 7 year project fall to a Cease and Desist case.

This is all happening very quickly, so there might be changes over time, it's all very unstable right now but since I have some spare time, I want to do this now and, eventually, revise it at a later time.

Before starting sending in your rips, please read the guidelines,

Thanks for sticking with us and stay tuned, hopefully I'll manage to squeeze another release before getting back to work!

(you can read the original article here: We're now accepting community releases! )
I have 2 questions, would using a Game Genie cart and code be okay to use if there's no sound test or any other way to record music from the game in question? I ask because there's one game I'm getting ready to record and the only way I can record some of the songs is with a Game Genie code as there's no sound test option in said game and didn't see anything about this in the guidelines and just wanted to be sure if it was allowed or not before I move forward, and would adjusting the volume setting of your recording device itself (if applicable) be allowed so one would leave the volume slider on the Genesis at max and still avoid clipping?
You bring up important points, I'll think about them a bit and get back to you ASAP.
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
Alright, the tl;dr about "using game genie codes/cheats/exploits/etc." is: yes, you can, but you *MUST* say *exactly* what you've done in a text (plain text .txt, please) file included with the release. This will be made public along with the rest of the specs (recording equipment, etc...).

Long answer: we're always striving to achieve maximum accuracy towards the source and we've been able to do this by using the VGM Player made by Dead Fish Shitware and the rips from Project2612.
The other obvious way to record music properly is by using the game's sound test although this is not always possible.
Now, I know there are other way around this, by simply playing the game and using cheat codes in order to have the sound effects not playing, but I'm not familiar with them and don't know if they have any undesirable side-effects (for once, I know some games make use of the PGM channel as well in their music).

I believe that, in the end, the community will have the last word on your work.
This is why it's important being absolutely transparent in what you're doing, as this will enable us (and other people ripping music) to know what actually works and what doesn't.

Onto the other question:

There are sound cards/audio interfaces which let you adjust the input levels and others which have the input level fixed.

If you can adjust the input level on the recording interface, you should always have the mega drive volume maxed out and adjust the recording input level accordingly.
If you can't, then lower the mega drive volume.*

NEVER amplify audio in software. If it's quiet, leave it quiet. Volume knobs exist for a good reason.

Again, thanks for bringing those points up, I'll add them to the guidelines at a later time.

* There's a technical explanation for this. Common wisdom would say that audio interfaces which let you adjust the input level are better, but it's actually the opposite, sound quality wise.
If you're curious about this, I might delve a bit deeper but it's gonna get a bit technical.
(11-10-2019, 08:45 PM)donluca Wrote: Now, I know there are other way around this, by simply playing the game and using cheat codes in order to have the sound effects not playing, but I'm not familiar with them and don't know if they have any undesirable side-effects (for once, I know some games make use of the PGM channel as well in their music).
You bring up a good point yourself and after testing around, looks like I'll have to go with the VGM Player and project2612 route, the code I created seems to actually disable one of the FM channels on the console when activated so that will not work, the game in question is Puggsy and now I wonder how project2612 was able to rip this game without SFX since some songs have SFX in places that won't be repeated (like the beginning of the Poly Pirate, the first boss that part doesn't loop) so maybe they did the same kind of thing IDK.
They got some good people over at P2616, but you might want to double check their rip just to make extra sure that the music plays properly.

The modified VGM player (which you can find in our guidelines page) and P2612 VGMs are still our preferred way of ripping music accurately.