Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Website restyling!
Most of you will probably be like "what the hell happened?!?!?" and I can't really blame you for it.

The restyling completely inverted the color scheme and now we have a clean, pure snow white background with easy-on-the-eye dark grey text.

Also, gone are the cluttered menu, the giant banner and other unaesthetical things.

A quick heads up on how to find your way around the new website:
    [*]Clicking on the site title will bring you back to the main page (the News feed), no matter where you are
    [*]Clicking on the Menu icon in the upper left corner will bring you a new sleek menu where you can access all the website's content
    [*]To close the Menu, simply click on the Menu icon again or just click on the link of the page where you want to go: the new page will be provided with the Menu closed.
    [*]In the upper right corner are the links to our social media related sites: Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. If you're unable to see those icons, make sure you disable AdBlock and similar software on our website (no clue why AdBlock blocks those icons)
    [*]The forum's theme is slightly broken: there are some things which are off here and there and I'll fix sometime in the future (low priority stuff since the forum works without issues)
Still, everything is new and pretty much untested.

If you find something which doesn't work or have suggestions on making the website more pleasant, please let me know in the Forum or at webmaster@16bitaudiophileproject.org

Thank you for sticking with us and hopefully I'll be recording a new release next week!
Hi donluca, I like the look of the new theme but I gotta say it is running dead slow for me. I haven't looked in too deep but have turned on the developer timeline view in safari. Basically I get about 6 full seconds of nothing happening, and then the page loads in 1 or 2 seconds. but this is every click everywhere, approx 6 seconds of nothing and then normal page loading. Theres no errors or warnings to speak of, and it could very well just be me, my dieing mac or a local problem to safari... Or it could be the PHP code server side taking too long to process page requests which could mean you need stronger hosting CPU resources, or theres some latency in wordpress reading from the database, or you are getting DDOSed?, (hope none of these are the case as that would involve money)

So I hope its just me!
Our hosting sucks major balls, that's the problem, but for 11€ per year you can't really complain.

Actually, it's a miracle that someone is offering DNS + FTP + Database + Web Space + Mail for such a low price.

The point is I'm keeping all the stuff absolutely free (and ad free! We get no revenue whatsoever) and this means I'm putting all the money needed for better equipment, new mega drive, better PSUs and hosting out of my pocket.

I've been thinking about setting a donation button where people can donate even very very small amounts of money (as low as 0,01€) to help us keeping running but then I'm afraid that people donating might request some kind of "special status" among the project and personally I'm against that: if someone gets extra rights by donating this means that to get equal rights people HAVE TO donate and that's something I'm really not looking forward to.

Other stuff like putting ads or similar is out of question: if someone gets us making any kind of money (besides donations) out of this project this is not gonna end well.

Another way out of this is using a hosting which just gives us the web space and use the DNS provided by this host. But then things might get a little complicated.

Another way out is putting up a small shop where we can sell simple stuff like custom T-Shirts with a custom logo (ie: not our sonic and knuckles logo, it's copyrighted!) but honestly I'm not sure anyone would be buying it, even to support the project.

We're not that well known around the globe and our project aims at a small niche.

Still, if anyone has any suggestion on a better hosting that's not gonna break the bank, I'm all for it!