The Classic Boards

Full Version: Streets of Rage and Shenmue vinyl now out!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://data-discs.com/

Wonder what audiophiles with high-end turntable setups think about these releases? Wonder if it's all a collectible gimmick thing, or some actual merit to them being on vinyl? What stands out to me is this: "Audio sourced from the original NEC PC-88 files, recorded and supplied in 32bit/96kHz by Yuzo Koshiro, in combination with a 32bit/96kHz direct capture from a PAL Mega Drive (HD, VA4, non-TMSS) Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, running at 60Hz through a stereo output mod."

Also, this is in their FAQ:
Quote:Who masters the audio for your releases?
We are fortunate enough to have two in-house audio engineers and studio access, so sometimes we will master the audio ourselves. This is decided on a case-by-case basis, depending on the source material and type of audio. On other occasions we outsource the work to carefully chosen mastering engineers. All of our releases are mastered specifically for the vinyl format.

This has potential to be something great with that above info. Imagine if Yuzo Koshiro released the original 32bit/96khz digitally(!), especially the NEC PC-88 files; I doubt a stereo-modded VA4 will be as good as 16-bit Audiophile's version... vinyls' also probably not the best thing for a digital source; still it's something and I'm glad this kind of thing is happening.
Looking at their recording chain we believed they were actually using our files since their setup was incredibly close to ours, save for small differences.

Turned out that, maybe, they found out about our project and "took inspiration" from it, getting some ideas from us and then turning it into a business.

The choice of releasing it in vinyl is nice nontheless, a cool collector item.
Woah, interesting! That would be insane if they stole your files and sold them commercially! I don't think we will ever know for sure though.

The old Streets of Rage recording with the PAL console, pre-'remasters', even though it has the 60hz mod actually has the pitch ever so slightly lower than it should be too; only really noticeable when compared side by side to a NTSC console's line out.

The fact they're based out of England doesn't make it too far-fetched they used their own PAL stereo-modded console though Tongue